Sunday, July 19, 2009

Songs in the Key of the Honest Man's Life - Conscious Thought Edition

I went to private school. The total number of kids in my high school was two hundred and something. My senior class had 44 people. And out of that 44, 6 of us were black (ironically 3 females, 3 males). From time to time, I had to change costumes. One minute I was Carlton Banks, representing in the classroom. The other minute I'm the Fresh Prince, just reeking in smoothness. When those forces collided, it normally meant I debating with my fellow blanco classmate and it usually ended with them calling me militant. Like you know why they shouldn't say "****er" in front of black people, even though they listen to rap albums that constantly shout out the word (another day, another post).

Today's song captures that militant aspect of my life. Mos Def. Talib Kweli. They are BLACK STAR. And their album was pure dopeness. As soon as I saw this video, I'm like I'm coppin' the album when it comes out. And I wasn't disappointed. Get yo' mind right pimp, they shot Tupac and Biggie, too much violence in Hip Hop, Why-oohhhhhhhh....

Black Star - Definition

No comments: