Tuesday, October 6, 2009

(Honest) Man vs. Food - Deanie's



The Honest Man is a huge fan of Man vs Food. And the Honest Man also considers himself a food connoisseur. So I've decided to start writing about some of my favorite food experiences and sharing them with my readers. These are places I consider you absolutely must try if you are ever in these fair cities. If you don't, you might as well be on the outside looking in. So disappoint me young Jedis, abandon your fear, and join me in the quest to complete your Jedi training and sample some of the best food of your life.....

New Orleans. 3 things quickly come to mind: Bayou Classic, Mardi Gras, and grocery stores that sell hard liquor in them (seriously!!). However, recently I had to add a new thing to that list and that place is Deanie's. I actually saw this on an episode of Man vs Food. But what caught my attention was that both black and white people were eating there. Quick side note, while I have love for my Caucasian brothers and sisters, some of ya'll don't know what the word seasoning means. I like for my food to have flavor. Whenever I eat with ya'll, more often than not, you take me to food places that are allergic to flavor. And if I don't see any minorities eating the food, that's a HUGE red flag to me.

Enough rambling, more eating. My wife and I were in New Orleans recently and I told her we are trying this spot. We went to the original one in Bucktown and one word. WOW. They start you off with new potatoes that are piping hot and have spices that make you crave water. We had the gumbo as appetizers, which is as close to authentic as one can get. I had the shrimp, oysters, and catfish platter that had me going Van Damme over and over.

Long story short, if you are ever in New Orleans and you have an urge to check out local cuisine. Go to Deanie's. They got one in the French Quarters which is ok but the best one is the original one in Bucktown by the lake. Trust me, you won't be disappointed. I leave you with this picture...


No comments: