Saturday, December 6, 2008

Waldini's Logic - Part II





Man has such a predilection for systems and abstract deductions that he is ready to distort the truth intentionally, he is ready to deny the evidence of his senses only to justify his logic - Fyodor Dostoyevsky

Anyone that knows me also knows that I like good conversation or as others call it debating. At various times in my life, I have debating endlessly with the baby boomer generation on everything from music to comedians to movies to respecting history. I’m an open minded individual so I always like to hear different opinions. However, sometimes certain opinions I hear are just so asinine I have to play devil’s advocate and go into attack dog mode.

For example, one day at work, I remember talking with a baby boomer co-worker about lunch breaks. I don’t even know how we got on the subject but I remember she and her office mate (also a baby boomer) telling me that sometimes they skipped lunch because of work. I emphatically stated that I don’t skip lunch. If I don’t eat then the consequence is that I will probably act an ass because I am hungry. The message I was trying to get across was just let me eat and we all good. If not, then I’m not apologizing for my snappy behavior. Well after I said that, she just looked at me, told me I was spoiled for saying that. She said I was acting like I was too good to skip lunch. Without hesitating, I simplified her comments and said “I’m spoiled because I want to eat. I’m spoiled because I want to eat. So what does that make homeless people? Because they always ready to eat.” If you could have seen the expression on her face, it was the you are a complete asshole look. I kept going and said some folks take cigarette breaks. Some folks take coffee breaks. Others take internet breaks. I take lunch breaks.

Looking back, I was probably offended she called me spoiled and took that comment to heart. Honestly, I wanted to her to understand why she was calling me spoiled. I didn’t say that I refuse to work overtime or on weekends. I didn’t say I refuse to pick up someone else’s workload in their absence. I simply said I want my lunch break. You know something that’s critical to you living like eating.

Today's Lesson
It was one of those baby boomer versus generation x debates that really was not a debate. We’re talking about eating. Not about say the history of them doing sit-ins so that they could eat at a booth, bar, or table with other folks. So when you call me spoiled, make sure it’s relevant.

1 comment:

Gangsta D said...

“I’m spoiled because I want to eat. I’m spoiled because I want to eat. So what does that make homeless people? Because they always ready to eat.”

That needs to go on a t-shirt.