Wednesday, November 26, 2008

Racism - Volume 1


This is a subject that will be covered repeatedly on this blog but for the sake of not boring you, I'm only covering 1 point in today's edition

Point #1 - Denial

“Take your slice of pizza and go the fuck back to Africa” – Do the Right Thing

Does racism still exist? Raise your hand if you think it does not. For those that kept their hand down, you get a cookie. Why the sarcasm you ask? Because you are a moron if you think racism no longer exists in America. Yeah, I know what you are going to say:

“Waldini, schools are no longer separated so all our kids will get the same education”
“You guys got affirmative action to make sure you get into college and get a good job”

“I don’t understand why you are so angry; I mean you make all this money from sports and entertainment”


Let me ask you, specifically white America, a question. Would you have a problem if your daughter or son decided to marry someone from a different race? And if you had a problem, then what would be your reason? Would you subliminally think about yourself first and be worried about what your family, friends, and neighbors would say? Or would you become a victim of stereotypes and associate what you see on TV or hear on the radio with your child’s love interest? If you are having deep thoughts as you read my words, then my friend, you are a racist.

Oh you’re not a racist you say? You have friends with different cultural backgrounds that you talk with all the time you say? Ok, wiseguy, I will take it a step further. When you go out to lunch, who do you usually go out with? And how would you describe the skin tone of your lunch counterparts? When you go out to parties or happy hours, what is the majority race that is present? Have you ever gone to a party and you were the only race represented? How did that make you feel? Again, if you are having deep thoughts as you read this, then my friend, you are a racist.

Still laughing of my words huh? You say I am not accurately describing you and that I need to take my foolishness elsewhere? Ok, I have another round of questions for you. When you describe a person, do you usually include the race in front of the noun? For example, I ask you how would describe the guy and you reply “He’s this tall, big black guy, blah, blah, blah.” Any reason you simply can’t say “He’s a tall, big guy.” And course my ultimate question, have you ever used a derogatory term specifically meant for a race at any time in your life? Whoops, I think I just hit the jackpot.

Racism has and continues to exist today in society. It’s nowhere near as bad as the early to mid 20th century, but people act like it doesn’t exist anymore and equal rights reign supreme. Yea, equal rights exist for those of the same complexion and tax bracket. But last time I checked, I don’t remember them telling stories of getting pulled over for a busted “tail light.” Riiiight.

And in case you wondering, I used to be racist, simply because I did find myself thinking hard about those questions and did some of those same things above. But at least I admitted my faults and constantly work on overcoming my flaws. Some of you can’t even get out of the denial phase.

Today's Lesson

Stop judging folks by the color of their skin and more on what's on the inside. Sounds cliche and simple but really it's not that difficult. You'll be amazed at how much you have in common with someone.

No comments: