Tuesday, January 13, 2009

Now watch me YUUUAHHH





Soulja Boy off in this hoe
Watch me lean and watch me rock
Super man dat hoe
Then watch me crank dat robocop
Super fresh, now watch me jock
jocking on them haterz mayn
When I do dat Soulja Boy
I lean to the left and crank dat thang

This is what I'm supposed to believe is the future of Hip Hop. Seriously, this is considered the passing of the torch. The words don't evoke memories of a young Jay-Z. Hell they don't even conjure up memories of a young Special Ed. But this is what the new generation is talking about. And from the looks of things, they don't have much to say.

I know it's easy to blame Soulja Boy for the lack of creativity in rap but in all honesty it's not his fault entirely. There are a host of others out there like Young Berg, Ace Hood, and a slew of others that are lyrically failing too. Before you go, you just bitter because you miss the Golden Era of Hip-Hop, consider the following albums and artists below.

  • Doggystyle - '93 - Snoop 21
  • People's Instinstive Travels - '89 - Q Tip, Phife - 19
  • Straight Outta Compton - '88 - Ice Cube - 19
  • Live from the BBQ - '92 - Nas - 19
  • Southernplayalisticadillacmuzik - '94 - Big Boi, Andre 3000 - 19
Take a strong look at how old they were when their albums dropped. Think about where they are at now in their careers. There are more on here (LL Cool J, MC Lyte) that I could have dropped but I did not want to give you the full knockout blow. There are more bad young up and coming rappers today than good. It's not a fact but a very strong opinion. I can't think of any in their teens and the only early twenties rappers that come to mind are Charles Hamilton, Lil Wayne, Cool Kids, Kidz in the Hall, and Lupe Fiasco. That's a sad state we are in.

Don't give me this shit about these new school cats being too young to be that lyrical. Hell even Shaheim (aka the Rugged Child) was dropping dope shit at 13. The only difference between being 17 and say 19 is that you can vote and get drafted for the military. The above worked on their craft constantly and evolved with the times.

What's wrong with the new generation? It's not lack of things to write about. They have more access to things than ever with the evolution of technology. It's laziness. Let's just call it what it is. They are putting their efforts into the marketing and/or beatmaking aspect of Hip Hop but forgetting about lyrical part of it. It's no surprise that Soulja Boy's second album is struggling mighty hard or no one is playing a Young Berg record. Shit is GAHBAGE.

I haven't given up on the young people yet because there are artists out there (like the ones I mentioned) that do give a damn about clever wordplay. But it's like the opposite of '88 where it was difficult to find completely horrible lyrics compared to say halfway decent lyrics.

Today's Lesson

Stop being lazy and go write some rhymes that will make the Honest man go damn, that's hot, and I will remember it years later. I mean hell, I still remember Puppy Chow saying on the "Where the Party at (remix)", Got girls 21, wishin they were fourteen. BRILLIANT. Now watch me YUUUAHHHH

No comments: