Tuesday, January 18, 2011

Songs in the Key of the Honest Man's Life - Other Side of the Game.

How does one describe Erykah Badu? The face of 90s Neo Soul? The epitome of random weirdness? The mother of children who likely will face job discrimination because of their crazy names? The voodoo mistress who impacted every rapper she crossed paths with (see Andre 3000, Common)? Pioneer? Truth Teller? Borderline down ass/earth chick??

Honestly I dunno. I do know that I was an instant fan back in '96 when she dropped "On and on." It only got better when I copped "Baduizm" and said to myself INSTANT CLASSIC. Straight rocked the hell outta her CD for months. So imagine my disappointment when "Mama's Gun" dropped. And subsequent albums after that. Just gibberish shit that I didn't understand nor cared to. I was like, just make something that is in English por favor :-).

She's been making a mini comeback with her latest album. It's actually the closest thing I've heard to "Baduizm." And who knew that Badu had junk in the trunk (see "Window Seat" video)? It was like the Alicia Keys "if I ain't got you" video. Yep that kinda revelation. But anyway, today's SITK is my favorite cut off her first album. Her tale of struggling with the great lifestyle she has but all due to the fact her man is pushing snow. And I don't mean the kind you build snowman with kiddies. It's beautiful song that expresses her dilemma over what to do if someone indeed "comes for you."

Erykah Badu - Other Side of the Game

No comments: